Who are the members of Chief Justice Renato Corona’s defense team?
Supreme Court spokesman Jose Midas Marquez earlier described Corona’s
lawyers as a “powerhouse legal team.”
* A former Supreme Court Justice and justice secretaryunder President Joseph Estrada, he is a known lawyer of the influential Iglesia ni Cristo (INC) and a former chairman of New Era University, which was established by the INC.
Jacinto “Jack” Jimenez
* A long-time professor at the Ateneo Law School, he is known as the “walking SCRA” or Supreme Court Reports Annotated (SCRA), a compilation of Philippine court decisions.
Jose “Judd” Roy III
*A former dean and president of the Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Maynila, Roy started his legal career at the Supreme Court as chief of staff of then Chief Justice Andres Narvasa. He is a batchmate of Presidential Spokesperson Edwin Lacierda at the Ateneo Law School. He is also Corona’s frat brother in the Fraternal Order of Utopia.
Eduardo delos Angeles
* A former dean of the Ateneo College of Law, delos Angeles is Corona frat brother in the Fraternal Order of Utopia. A known trial lawyer and litigator, delos Angeles served with the prosecution team during the impeachment trial of former President Joseph Estrada.
German Lichauco II
* A partner of the Siguion Reyna Montecillo Ongsiako law firm, Lichauco brings two decades of practice to the Corona legal team. He is a member of Aquila Legis, the rival frat of the Fraternal Order of Utopia.
* Another partner at Siguion Reyna Montecillo Ongsiako, Manalo used to be with the Sycip Salazar Hernandez and Gatmaitan law office.
* The general counsel of the Integrated Bar of the Philippines (IBP) , Esguerra is a former justice undersecretary in charge of the National Prosecution Service from February 1992 to March 1995. He is also a former acting chairman of the Board of Pardons and Parole.
* He is the former dean of the Pamantasan ng Lungsod ng Pasay law school and is former president of IBP-Quezon City chapter. He is part of the Romulo Mabanta law office and currently teaches in the University of the Philippines and Ateneo de Manila University colleges of law.
* Jimeno is a UP alumna who obtained her Masters in Law from Harvard University. She used to be with the Quisumbing, Torres, Evangelista law offices until very recently.
Law Offices from 1982 to 1986. He finished his Bachelor of Laws from the University of the Philippines in 1974 and was admitted to the
Philippine Bar in 1975, before joining the Office of the Solicitor General as trial attorney.
Rico Paolo Quicho