Malacañang on Monday denied allegations by Chief Justice Renato Corona over the weekend that a Palace emissary had asked the impeached magistrate to “surrender.”
In a text message to GMA News Online, deputy presidential spokesperson Abigail Valte asked Corona to refrain from making untruthful statements.
“It is lamentable that the Chief Justice has been of late, issuing unstatesman-like and clearly false diatribes against the Palace. He would be well advised to refrain from making untruthful statements if he wishes to preserve what little goodwill the public has for him,” Valte said.
Corona, in a statement released through his lawyers Sunday, said a a Palace emissary, whom he did not identify, approached him to ask him to either resign or seek early retirement.
“I was told that I had already served as chief justice for one-and-a-half years and that my service as the 23rd top magistrate would always be part of this nation’s history,” Corona said.
Corona said he was also told that all the baseless allegations peddled to the public could easily be forgotten, if he would surrender.
He was also urged by the supposed Palace representative “to save the entire judiciary from the danger it might undergo” and “to spare other justices, judges, court officials and employees from uncertainties.”
The Chief Justice, however, maintained that he will not step down from his post. Corona is currently facing impeachment trial at the Senate.